Asphalt pavements are extremely common throughout North America. They can be constructed in less time and at less cost than comparable concrete pavements, and they are safer and more attractive. However, an asphalt pavement must be properly maintained if it is to enjoy a long life with the fewest possible costly repairs. One of the most cost-effective ways to ensure an asphalt pavement’s longevity and integrity is to seal coat it every couple of years. If you do this throughout the life of your parking lot, you could gain significant sealcoating saving benefits.
How Substantial Could My Sealcoating Savings Benefits Be?
The exact amount of your savings will depend on a variety of factors, including the traffic your parking lot receives, the age of your asphalt parking lot when you began to seal coat it, and the quality of its construction. In general, studies have demonstrated that every dollar invested in asphalt maintenance yields an average of $4 in savings over the pavement’s life. In one scenario, assume you have an asphalt parking lot covering 10,000 square yards. Based on its expected use, its life expectancy is calculated to be 15 years. Soon after the pavement’s second anniversary, the pavement will begin to need repairs, and an asphalt overlay will likely be necessary between its seventh and eighth years. Maintaining the asphalt sealcoating and making any needed repairs in a timely manner can generate a potential savings of between $100,000 and $150,000.
What Is Required to Generate Sealcoating Savings Benefits?
If you want to maximize your savings, there are a few things you can do to help you reach that goal.
1. Always work with an experienced, reputable sealcoating contractor. Asphalt sealcoating contains water, concentrated sealant, and sand, and the mix must contain each ingredient in the proper proportion. Furthermore, the mix must be applied correctly and under acceptable weather conditions. Inexperienced or untrustworthy contractors may prepare a mix incorrectly, or they may cut corners to complete the application in less time. If you hire the wrong contractor, you could be throwing away money by sealcoating your parking lot.
2. Sealcoating will conceal your existing parking lot striping and pavement markings. To minimize your inconvenience and maximize your savings, try to find a sealcoating and striping company rather than two separate providers.
3. If vehicles drip gasoline, oil, brake fluid, diesel, or other fluids on your pavement, clean them up. These petroleum-based products soften asphalt, allowing it to crumble. Sealcoating a parking lot will give you more time to remove them, but they will eventually eat through the sealant and attack the asphalt.
4. Do not seal coat your pavement too frequently. This will waste your money, but it can also create new problems, including tracking. Trustworthy sealcoating contractors recommend waiting until the existing sealant is just about worn away before reapplying it. If there are high-traffic areas that show excessive wear, ask your contractor about the feasibility of touching up just those areas.
5. Do not allow your contractor to seal coat your pavement without making the necessary repairs first. The sealant will drain into any open potholes or large cracks, but it will not repair them.
When you want exceptional workmanship at competitive prices, contact Marathon Solutions Group. We offer an extensive list of services, including asphalt sealcoating, thermoplastic markings, asphalt pavement repair, parking lot striping, asphalt paving, concrete repair, asphalt resurfacing, marking removal, asphalt milling, parking lot signage, bollards, and concrete installation. We have an exemplary reputation, impeccable references, and the ability to handle jobs of all sizes. For a free quote, email Sales@Marathon-Solutions.com, submit the online request form, or call 800-879-1147.