If you are responsible for overseeing the construction and repair of your city’s streets, sidewalks, parking lots, and other pavements, you know that you must please many different groups. Homeowners, retailers, restaurant managers, tourism boards, commercial and residential property managers, and business owners all expect civic leaders to demonstrate fiscal responsibility, but they also expect them to ensure that all pavements are safe, attractive, and well-maintained. The careful selection of a paving contractor is the best way to stretch your municipal budget without sacrificing your town’s pavements.
What Qualifications Should a Municipal Paving Contractor Have?
When you need paving work performed, you will probably collect bids from numerous contractors. It may be tempting to simply choose the lowest bid, but this could be a critical mistake. Instead, you need to compare every line item on each bid. Furthermore, you need to ensure that the contractor you select has the right qualifications.
• Relevant Experience: The contractor needs to have verifiable experience with projects of a similar scope. Although municipal paving experience is nice, it is not always required. Instead, look for examples of similar projects that the contractor successfully planned and executed without cost overruns or significant delays.
• Insurance: Always make sure that the contractor has the right insurance and that policies are in force. He should have workers’ compensation insurance that covers all of his employees, vehicle liability insurance, and a general liability policy with a limit of $500,000 or more.
• Regulatory Knowledge: Your contractor must know and understand federal, state, and municipal regulations. Some regulations involve accessibility, and other regulations pertain to environmental issues.
• Equipment: No contractor can deliver exceptional work without the proper tools, so if he does not have access to the right equipment, his results will be impacted. Poorly maintained equipment that breaks down in the middle of a job can result in delays that can disrupt your entire schedule.
• Personnel: The contractor needs a sufficient number of employees to complete the job in a timely manner. Furthermore, his employees should be well-trained and experienced.
• Honesty: An ideal candidate will not attempt to convince you that you need unnecessary work, but he will not hesitate to speak up if he is aware that what you are planning will provide unsatisfactory results. He will also advise you if he realizes there are more economical ways to obtain the desired results than the services you specified.
At Marathon Solutions Group, we have successfully executed numerous large-scale municipal projects that required intricate planning and scheduling. We are justifiably proud of the skills and experience of our team members as well as their dedication to quality craftsmanship. Our services include concrete installation and repairs, asphalt paving and resurfacing, parking lot signage and striping, asphalt milling, bollard installation, asphalt sealcoating, marking removal, and asphalt repairs. To contact us or request a free quote, you can either call +1 800-879-1147 or submit the online request for proposal.
An inspired approach to quality residential,
and commercial projects
Marathon was established in 2005 by two best friends that met during their Junior Year of High School at Spring Woods in Houston, Texas. Starting out with only a Chevy Tahoe, 4″ paint roller and the belief that if you listen to your customers’ needs, give 110% and provide the best service in the market you will have a client for life. As it would turn out, those principals paid off!
We went from applying 300 gallons of traffic paint our first year in business to installing over 45,000+ gallons of paint in 2019! More than 80% of our projects year after year are from repeat clients.
Connect with us