The Houston area typically has very mild winters, and since asphalt mix is spread while it is hot, people often assume that asphalt parking lot paving can be installed year-round. Although most Houston contractors would be thrilled to handle paving projects in the winter, it is not always possible.
Why Is It Sometimes Impossible to Install Asphalt Parking Lot Paving in the Winter?
Depending on the exact location of the job, a parking lot paving company in Houston normally receives truckloads of hot mix asphalt that is around 280 degrees Fahrenheit. The contractor’s crew members must place, work, and compact each asphalt course before the temperature of the mix falls below 220 degrees. At approximately 185 degrees, the mix will clump together and be too hard to compact. Although you might think that the mix would take a long time to cool, if the surface temperature is less than 50 degrees, it will only take a few minutes. This is especially true on asphalt resurfacing projects that require thin lifts; the thinner the lift, the faster it will cool.
What Other Factors Affect Wintertime Asphalt Parking Lot Paving Projects?
The air temperature, wind velocity, available sunlight, and humidity can all affect how quickly an asphalt mix will lose its heat.
1. Your asphalt paving company will probably require an air temperature of at least 50 degrees before beginning an installation.
2. High winds will speed up the heat loss.
3. Exposure to direct sunlight will help the asphalt paving mix retain and renew its heat. However, in the winter, an asphalt contractor has fewer hours of sunlight available due to the shorter days. Furthermore, if the day is heavily overcast, the time available for compaction will be reduced.
4. Humidity levels in the Houston area are typically high. High humidity levels can help the paving mix retain its heat, but low humidity levels will accelerate the heat loss.
Since the Average Wintertime High in Houston Is Over 60 Degrees, Why Do Asphalt Contractors Still Have Problems?
There could definitely be a few days here and there when a Houston asphalt paving company can successfully complete projects. However, you must consider the following points.
1. The calculation for an average temperature includes days that are significantly cooler as well as warmer. Therefore, on any given day, the high temperature could be well below 50 degrees.
2. Usually, the highest temperature of the day is not reached until late afternoon. This does not give an asphalt company much time to provide its paving services.
3. In Houston, the average wintertime overnight lows are in the 40s. On some nights, they can drop below freezing. Once the ground gets cold, it may take several days before its temperature rises above 50 degrees. Rain, high humidity levels, strong winds, and cloudy days can all delay a rise in the ground temperature.
Whether you need asphalt resurfacing or a new pavement, you should not assume that Marathon Solutions Group can or cannot assist you in the wintertime. Marathon Solutions is an experienced asphalt contractor with an in-depth knowledge of how the local conditions affect our wintertime paving services. Since your satisfaction with our work is our highest priority, we will be honest about performing work in the winter. This dedication to customer service, a commitment to deliver exceptional work on every job, and our professionalism have helped us earn an exemplary reputation. In addition to asphalt paving, we also offer asphalt resurfacing, sealcoating, concrete installation, asphalt milling, marking removal, asphalt milling, thermoplastic markings, asphalt repairs, bollard installation, parking lot striping, asphalt crack repairs, and parking lot signage. We can even create a complete parking lot maintenance plan for you that is customized to your specific requirements. We offer free quotes, so use our online form to submit your request today. If you prefer, you can email Sales@Marathon-Solutions.com, or you can call us at 800-879-1147.